Find out when and how to register for Intrastat, how to submit a declaration, and how to correct errors in a previous declaration.
When you must register
You must register for Intrastat if, in the last or current calendar year, your business either:
- moved more than £250,000 worth of goods to countries in the EU
- received more than £1.5 million worth of goods from countries in the EU
If your business is not VAT registered, you do not need to register for Intrastat.
When you have registered for Intrastat, you must submit monthly Intrastat declarations.
What counts towards the £250,000 or £1.5 million total
Count the value of goods that are:
- bought or sold
- hired, loaned or leased
- supplied as part of a contract for services
- supplied free of charge
- moved in or out of the UK to be used in construction
- transferred between 2 branches of your business
- moved out of the UK, then lost or destroyed
Do not count the value of:
- services goods you’re taking out of the UK temporarily
For more details about the rules that apply and to access Notice 60, a general guide to Intrastat, read guidance on how to complete your declaration.
Submit an Intrastat declaration
You must submit an Intrastat declaration every month. You can do this by:
- filling in the online form
- uploading a CSV file
- email attachment using Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) - search online to find software suppliers
Records you must keep
- copies of your Intrastat declaration
- documents you use to complete your Intrastat declarations
You must let HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) see your records if they ask.
Correct errors in an Intrastat declaration
When to correct an error
You need to correct a declaration if both of the following apply:
- the error relates to commodity code, value, country, or goods declared in an incorrect period
- the value of the error on a single data line in the declaration is more than £10,000
If you need to correct an error in a previous Intrastat declaration, you can do this online.
Do not use the online service if you need to:
- add a new trade entry to a previous declaration, as you must submit any omissions on a new declaration
- withdraw a full declaration or change its period, as you will need to send your request to email@example.com
Before you start
You will need:
- your contact email address
- the company's name and VAT registration number, including the 3-digit branch code if it is registered as a branch trader
- if you are an agent, your own company name, VAT registration number and branch code (if you have one)
- the month and year of the declaration you want to correct
- the details from the original declaration entry and the details you need to correct
How to correct errors in your declaration
Fill in an amendment form to correct the information on your declaration.
Get help with Intrastat
If you need help with registering, submitting or changing your Intrastat declaration, email firstname.lastname@example.org.