About Exporters Details
HMRC releases a limited set of exporter information regarding UK companies exporting to non-EU countries. This is in line with our legal obligations, the government’s open data initiative and efforts to assist exporters and UK growth generally.
Publishing accurate, reliable information about UK exporters and their products has a number of benefits, including:
- Providing greater visibility of UK exporters to potential customers in the global market place
- Assisting developers to create exporter registers and online shop fronts to advertise and showcase UK exporters and their products
- Enabling those who are part of the export supply chain, such as logistics or transportation companies, to identify potential customers more easily
- Helping importers to locate alternative UK suppliers
The information published are:
- The exporting business name, address and postcode
- The eight-digit Combined Nomenclature code and description of the goods being exported
- The month and year in which the goods were exported
The law that requires us to publish this information is section 10(1) of the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Act 2015 and Statutory Instrument 2015 No. 2060.
Although this facility is designed to assist exporters, their confidentiality is protected and no details of markets, customers or market share are given or can be deduced. In particular:
- No trade figures are included with the exporter information
- Where only a few businesses have been engaged in exporting the same types of goods during the same month, the details of those businesses are not shown against those goods, but are reintroduced at a higher level of classification
- Information on exporters of certain sensitive goods is withheld to protect both those companies and the national interest
- The database is updated each month with information taken from Customs declarations. It allows users to view and download the information (subject to capacity limitations) and can be searched by name, commodity code, goods description, postcode and county.
If you want your details excluded from the published exporter information, please send your request to us by email to email@example.com by the 18th of the preceding month, including your business’s name and VAT registration number.
Please note that a request to exclude a business from the published exporter information sent to us by the 18th of the month will mean removal from the information published the following month. It is not possible for us to remove retrospectively information which has already been placed into the public domain.
If you have any questions relating to exporter information please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.