Regional Trade Statistics
Fourth Quarter 2019
Date: 17 March 2020
Coverage: United Kingdom
The graph below shows the total value of the UK’s import and export trade in goods for the annual period ending December 2019.
UK Imports and Exports by Region, year to December 2019
In the year to December 2019, the value of UK trade in goods exports increased by 2.1 per cent and imports increased by 0.3 per cent.
- All four UK countries saw an increase in exports during the year.
- There was a decrease in annual export value for all English regions except the North East, the East Midlands, the East of England, and London.
- The largest export partner by value was the USA for England, Germany for Wales, the Netherlands for Scotland, and the Irish Republic for Northern Ireland.
- The partner countries with the largest value increase were the USA for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and China for Scotland.
- The value of UK imports increased for England and Northern Ireland, but decreased for Wales and Scotland.
- There was an increase in annual import value for the all English regions except the North West, Yorkshire and The Humber, the West Midlands, and the East of England.
- The largest import partner by value was Germany for England, the USA for Wales and Scotland, and the Irish Republic for Northern Ireland.
- The partner countries with the largest value increase were China for England, Norway for Wales, the Netherlands for Scotland, and the Irish Republic for Northern Ireland.
You can find details of how users interested in import and export markets for specific goods make use of the detailed OTS data in ‘The User Story
’. You can also access the detailed data in our interactive database.
|UK Regional Trade Statistics Release||Quarter4||2019||17 Mar 2020||View Release|
|UK Regional Trade Statistics Commentary||Quarter4||2019||17 Mar 2020||View Release|
Note: If accessing the release spreadsheet in Google Chrome, please download as an Excel spreadsheet.
Date of Next Release: 11 June 2020
© Crown copyright 2010.
If using specific facts contained in this release please check the information is still current.