Businesses with EU trade above the Intrastat threshold are legally obliged to:
- submit timely and accurate Supplementary Declarations;
- keep a copy of every SD they make or which is made on their behalf;
- keep copies of all papers and documents which have been used for the purpose of compiling SDs;
- produce any of the above records to an officer of HM Revenue & Customs when required to do so;
- permit the officer to make copies or extracts or remove them for a reasonable period;
- computer records are acceptable providing they are in a legible format and made available to Customs;
- if a computer bureau is employed the records must be made available to HM Revenue and Customs, normally at the principle place of business;
- Customs officers have the right to enter your premises or the premises of anyone compiling SDs, at any reasonable time in order to carry out checks;
Records must be kept for 6 years, which is in line with VAT requirements, and applies equally to information stored by electronic means.
For more information see Notice 60 The Intrastat General Guide section 8.1.